Saturday, July 18, 2009

Vi command completion with konsole and pdksh

For some reason, Konsole version 2.2.2 overrides the "set -o vi" in my .profile and .kshrc. I know .kshrc is being obeyed because I set an environment variable that is retained. And I know it's Konsole because when I log into a console the command line is in vi editing mode.

After an hour poking around while S made breakfast (blueberry buttermilk pancakes with sausages - yum!), I found a way that works:
  1. Go to Konsole's Settings->Edit Current Profile...
  2. In the General tab click the Edit... button next to the Environment label
  3. Add a new line that says "EDITMODE=vi", right under the one that says "TERM=xterm"
  4. Click OK, until all the dialog windows are closed, and you're done.
I could pop a blood vessel deriding Konsole, it's very sparse documentation, and how this change in behaviour seems to have slipped in unannounced, but then again, I love this program too much. All is forgiven, now that I (and you, in case you were looking for it) have a solution. Just please don't do it again.

No comments: